Power Snacking: Yogurt, Strawberries, Chia Seeds and Essential Oils
My sisters and I are on a pretty interesting “natural beauty regime” these days. We are the driest girls you’ll ever meet (in both wit and complexion), so we’re moisturizing from the inside-out, so to speak. My sister, J., has taken us to a whole new level with essential oils. I’ve been spooning omega oils for years, but not to this degree. She’s been hard-core now for a few weeks (increasing various healthy fats and oils, getting lots of water, and a bunch of other stuff), and is simply loving it! Her skin has never looked or felt better.
Here’s my new afternoon power snack — it packs a nutritional wallop, and might just make your skin soft and dewy fresh as Snow White on a spring morning:
- Greek yogurt has more fiber, and less sodium, sugar, and carbs than regular non-fat yogurt.
- Chia seeds, the latest health craze, has omega 3 and fiber, as well as a few other healthy qualities. I like it, because it fills me up before a meal, so I don’t eat quite as much.
- Strawberries are high in vitamin c and antioxidants, and may also fight against cancer, aging, inflammation and neurological diseases. And they are sooooo delicious! If strawberries aren’t in season, you can substitute blueberries, raspberries, melons, peaches, or citrus fruits. Frozen fruits would probably be just fine as well.
- I really like Barlean’s Organic Master Blend Total Omega 3-6-9 oil. It has pure borage oil, flaxseed oil, fresh catch fish oil, and a nice lemon flavor. It costs about $25, but you get more bang for your buck. Keep it in the fridge.
- Local, natural honey has health benefits, including aiding allergies. It also gives you a little natural energy boost. It’s optional in this snack, but it does smooth out the flavor quite nicely.
Strawberry Greek Yogurt with Honey, Chia Seeds and Essential Oils
makes 1 snack
- 1 Tbs. organic chia seeds
- 6 Tbs. filtered water, room temperature
- 1 Tbs. omega, borage and/or flaxseed oil
- 1/2 cup non-fat, plain Greek yogurt
- Dallop of local, natural or raw honey, to taste, optional
- 6 strawberries, sliced
Stir chia seeds into water; let set, stirring occasionally, until gelled.
Meanwhile, stir oil into yogurt, and flavor with honey.
When chia seeds are gelled, stir them into the yogurt. Mix in strawberries. Eat and feel the power!
And, if you are feeling fancy, put it in a fancy glass